3.01.2010

All's Well That Ends Well

Breathe, lady, breathe! It's over. You can stop hyperventilating. Go ice up your poor wrists.

First, the Ravelympics Dance o' Victory!


Pattern: "Aria" by Lynne Barr, available in Knitting New Scarves
Yarn 1: Debbie Bliss Pure Silk - single ply DK weight, 100% silk
Colorway 1: Aqua (21)
Yarn 2: Araucania Itata Multy - sturdy 4-ply, 70% wool/15% silk/15% bamboo
Colorway 2: 1014


Plus: Pure silk directly on the neck--how did I live without it? I've always been crazy about this pattern; it's one of the main reasons I bought the book. I respect most of the unique (often bizarre) designs on some level, but this one just said, "Baby, I'm yours." I held the two yarns together to create my version of the perfect handpainted yarn--depth, not dashes. Barr developed this undulating, slippery thing with laminaria seaweed in mind. Hence, I wanted a really flowing, drapey result, so I intentionally planned the gauge to be a bit more open than instinct would have led me to. I think I overshot that goal a bit at the beginning with a US10.5; about 1/4 of the way in, I went down to US10 and the whole thing just CLICKED into total happiness gear.


Delta: Jake pointed out to me that the Ravelympics seems like a stupid excuse to enjoy your hobby less. I'm starting to think he's right. I cast this thing off at exactly midnight, even though I was longing for another foot. I wasn't about to pass up my chance at the gold.....er....red...... rectangle:


Why couldn't they have made it look like a MEDAL?! Sigh.

As for the mitts and the blanket, a post is coming soon about each. Just know that everything ended up just fine, with a special thanks to Jill at the Woolie Ewe for saving my sorry behind. I'll tell the full story later, but just know: SHE IS A SAINT!

Square #18 (half-way! WOOT!) (wait, only half-way?! Grunt.)

No comments:

Post a Comment