10.18.2009

The funky twins

Pattern: "Basic Sock Pattern" by Ann Budd, available in The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns
Yarn: Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock (River)
Needles: US3 dpns
Size: woman's large at 7 st/in

Plus:
Reader, I have not only completed a sock that is functional and true, I have completed two! Ann Budd's customizable pattern is a great place to start for newbie sock knitters. I was looking to get a plain vanilla sock under my belt before tackling the crazy stitch gymnastics of popular Cookie A patterns and the like. I wanted confidence in my mastery of basic sock architecture for cuff-down patterns, and this did it. Next stop, toe-up construction.

Delta: These socks are fraternal twins. The cuffs match, which is all most people will see, but I had to start a new skein after the heel flap, and it clearly threw off the spiral pooling pattern. There's a big splotch of purple on the bottom of the foot like I stepped in paint or something. If I use this yarn again, I will start each sock with a fresh skein, resulting in two, tiny, left-over balls from each sock. Also, these are a teensy bit big for me, and I have size 9.5 feet, which I thought would qualify as large. Overall, they're not beautiful, but I'm durn proud of them.

On an unrelated note (well, except for the pride), I attended the one year anniversary "Food Creates Community" event last night, and it was as fabulous and intoxicating as ever. Read all about how well I ate here and bookmark the blog so you can hear about upcoming dates. I cannot recommend it enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment