Pattern: "Parallelograms" by Lynne Barr, available in Knitting New Scarves
Yarn: Dream in Color Classy - worsted weight, 100% superwash merino
Colorways: Happy Forest and Tea Party
Mods: I carried the non-working yarn up the sides of the stockinette sections, wrapping around the working yarn. I'm not into weaving in when I don't have to!
Plus: I heart Lynne Barr. Her designs rock, and her instincts for texture and geometry always thrill me. Even though the pattern is somewhat hypnotizing to stare at, it was simple, instantly memorized, and lightning fast! Jake requested that I make a cool, masculine scarf for one of the high school students he worked with last year at Berkner. There were a few months when Jake was on the lookout for the perfect satchel for law school, and he noticed this kid's bag. Upon complimenting its style and inquiring where he could get one, Jake was startled as the kid emptied the bag of its contents and handed it to him! The student insisted that he was finished with it and was about to switch to a new bag anyway, but Jake was so touched by this generosity that he insisted I make him a fabulous thank you gift. (p.s. The kid is gay and always raves about Jake's handknit sweaters and accessories. Too cute.)
Delta: I think that it would look better even wider. I actually did not use a needle size as big as called for, because the fabric was too floppy at that gauge, so maybe it's meant to be wider. If I knit this again, I would work with at least 25 stitches, instead of 20.
Pattern: "Owl Coffee Cup Cozy," by Sabrina Thompson, available free here
Yarn: Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran
Mods: I only added safety eyes to one owl cable instead of all 5. I skipped the beak embroidery because the more I tried, the harder it sucked.
Plus: My dear friend Sonya requested this one after seeing a previously finished coffee cozy. I've been meaning to try out one of the zillions of owl cable projects out there, and this was a perfect use for a 1/4 of a skein of cashmerino.
Delta: I think these are kind of dumb. Unless it's a felted version, these simply stretch and slip too much to be useful. I've now created one with the cable running vertically and one with a horizontally situated cable; doesn't matter--they stretch and slip. For the last one, I ended up weaving in tons of elastic thread along the inside and cinching it tight, a pain in the rear which led to negligible improvement. For this one, I ran out of time and left it as it, but I suggested to Sonya that she could a) use fabric glue to attach it to a regular cardboard sleeve or b) use the elastic thread method or c) wash and dry it regularly. We'll see. I won't make another.
Posted by Kat at 9:27 PM