8.01.2009

In a Tizzy

Lots to be excited about right now in the world of knitters! First of all, one of my favorite designers, Jared Flood of Brooklyn Tweed, has released his very first full pamphlet through Classic Elite Yarns! 13 original patterns, all in natural fibers, all demonstrating the fabulous eye he has for blending classic with modern. At first glance, it all looked much more old-fashioned than I had hoped for, but a closer look revealed the urban sensibility I've grown to love in him...I mean...his designs. Ahem.
Take "Stilwell," for example (all patterns are named after streets in Brooklyn). The stranded Fair Isle pattern strikes one immediately as vintage snowflake ski sweater. However, upon further examination of the stranded design, you see X's and windows and Morrocan inspired arches. The garment styling is very trim and modern with three-quarter sleeves, a henley neckline, and a flipped collar. Flood signs everything off with his signature garter stitch cuffs and hemlines. I adore him...I mean...the sweater.

Ravelry, Blue Moon Fiber Arts, and a million prestigious bloggers including the hilarious Yarn Harlot are organizing a "Sock Summit" in Portland. Since I don't live anywhere near Portland and have only knit one miserably pathetic sock, this shouldn't really concern me, except that a major component of the summit includes a yarn-dying contest, and all the cool kids in the hand-dying world are playing along. You can only vote if you're a member of Ravelry (and why wouldn't you be?) but you can check out some of the submissions on the dyer's blogs. For instance, Lorna's Laces entered nine different categories and designed each yarn around a theme of monster social gatherings, with clever names like "Hydra Pool Party" and "Frankenstein's Cotillion." In keeping with my usual prejudices, my favorites were dominated by Three Irish Girls' colorways. Not only are the color-combos delicious and inventive, I appreciated that the Yarnista devoted herself entirely to the constraints and advantages of each category, rather than entering a "Kettle-dyed" that looks exactly like a hand-painted or a "Watercolor" that looks like it was dipped. She's truly gifted. Don't you just want to take a bite out of this one???
In my own, modest little knitting world, I've finished a glove, which was meant for Becca's birthday, but may have to go to mom because it's a bit large on even me. Mom's got big, muscular hands from years of painting and gardening. This means two things: 1) Mom may not receive the "Fetching" mitts that she requested and 2) I need to figure out something for Becca's birthday fast, since it's up in about a week.
Steady progress on everything else, including my second lace attempt: "Branching Out." I'm only doing 10-20 rows a day, maximum, so I can always give it a fresh brain and total concentration. I've also been smart, moving my life-line up every 20 rows, although I've only had to rely on it once. It's nice to know mommy's there to catch you if you fall.
In the world of self-pity, school starts in about two weeks, and I don't wanna. If that wasn't even to invoke a temper-tantrum, I've been experiencing a little more pain lately. I wake up with that feeling...like someone had been punching my lower back all night so it's now swollen and tender. I was making dinner two nights ago and was starting to fight back the old nausea that made me want to curl up and do nothing. I practically broke the dishwasher in a fit of frustration. Jake rushed in and held onto me until I stopped fighting and heaving. I forget how vulnerable and scared he must feel whenever experiencing even a whiff of depression. Of course, he understands. Of course, he won't let me suffer interminably. Of course, I have to be patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment